View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
UncleMeat69

There is a little good in the worst of us and a little bad in the best of us. All alky's have feet of clay and I have learned through the years to put no one on a pedestal as I have seen a good number of long termers relapse.

Here is some stuff I know of Clancy. He started the Midnight Mission in downtown Los Angeles were hundreds of skid row drunks recovered. maybe they needed the type of sponsor that told them exactly what to do for their recovery. Who knows.
I know he has sponsored thousands of people who now possess long term sobriety and carry his message to thousands more suffering alky's. Would Clancy I. be my type of sponsor - hell no - but I would never put down anyone who has helped another drunk achieve recovery.

Don't know if you heard of a guy by the name of Charles Dietrich. He was a big circuit speaker quite renown in AA circles. He started helping heroin addicts and founded a program similar to Clancy's Midnight Mission called Synanon. Then he became corrupted and culted out with disastrous consequences that resulted in Manson style killing squads.

My point is that any of us is vulnerable to corruption no matter how long were sober or how popular we become. It is still an inside job on whether we fall victim to the BB term "Smug complacency." I don't see that in Clancy and I certainly do not see cultism at this stage of the game. Hopefully he will continue to help more and more drunks...