Thread: New pet
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BabyJane

New pet

Now that I am over 6 months sober, have a safe place to live and know I can be responsible I have made the decision to take on a pet. I also live with my fiancée and his brother, so it is a decision we all discussed at length and we decided we were ready to have maybe a small dog or cat to look after. We went to the shelter here in San Diego and looked around. It was breaking my heart you guys I wanted to take them all home! So many great loving little souls needing a home! Finally we found this cat; we asked the program director which ones had been there the longest and which ones she thought were most deserving of a chance... She showed us this male cat who is a bit older (7 years) but very healthy and extremely friendly and gentile. They told us that he was rescued off the street in bad shape, he's never had a proper home. We got to know him and we just fell in love with him. His name is Wilson. He's such a great little guy! So anyway that's my big news for now. I'm sober and I'm laying here in bed next to my new "old man" cat who is so happy to have a place to live - he purrs up a storm all night sleeping next to us. I'm truly blessed and glad I did this. It's a great reward of sobriety to be able to rescue a shelter pet and provide for that animal. I could not have done this while I was loaded - too selfish and not good with responsibilities back then. So I just wanted to share the story and encourage anyone looking for a pet to consider going to the shelter or humaine society as there are SO many homeless dogs and cats out there who need us! Thanks for reading and have a good day all!