View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
fini

If you have an interest in quitting for good and then drink again, it just so happens that the T of R'ing your AV DOES involve Re-cognizance of your AV leading up to that first drink. And, yes, the Technique does involve "dissecting" the AV out of your thoughts and feelings all the way back to when you first recall having the idea of "screw it, do it".

So, I'm sorry that it turns out that the point of your thread just happens to be what you are trying to avoid. I'm not suggesting you failed at all, just that you are choosing not to use AVRT.

sure.
but it's not what the point of the thread.
the point i wanted to talk about is the circularity of the response to relapse: if you drink again after having made a big plan, then you did not really make a real big plan.
the retrospective that insists it knows better than the person going through the experience.
the re-writing that says: you only THOUGHT you mad a big plan. the fact that you drank again shows that you didn't. because it's impossible to...."

which sounds the same as " you only THOUGHT you worked the steps properly. if you'd REALLY done it right, then...because it's impossible to....."

it's no biggie, GT.

the conversation might ultimately help someone who hasn't lied to themselves in making a BP and knows how to recognize the AV and finds themselves going back to drinking regardless of all that without having freely chosen to do so.