View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Lilly, you point out something interesting, and it's the reason I suspect AVRT isn't the right approach to something dieting (or maybe smoking but I'm not sure). It would be almost silly to make a Big Plan that says, "I will never eat a donut again and I will never change my mind." Intellectually we all know that few (if any) of us could ever be "addicted" to a donut to the degree that one bite and we'll eat donuts til we die. But many, even most, of us are that way with booze. Using AVRT to avoid, say, soda, seems like using a bazooka to kill a mouse. Not to minimize the danger of eating badly, but I don't think the AVRT approach was conceived of to deal with food. Perhaps it can be adapted but I'm not sure.

And while I too would like a dollar for each time I said "NEVER!" I can see now that when I said "never" before I made my Big Plan I really meant "not now." The Big Plan can't work until you really understand deep down that drinking is a binary decision; there's ONE and ZERO.

I don't want to make this an argument with anyone, so I hope that's not how I'm coming across. It's important to stop drinking and stay stopped, so any method that works is good. If something works for you, great. If not, keep what works and try something else.