Thread: Sleep
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AllieB

Sleep

Hoping for input about sleep patterns from people who have been sober for at least a couple months.....

I'm a little more than a month sober (with a regular binge, rather than daily, drinking history, for whatever physiological difference that makes with regard to physical recovery), and I've noticed just in the last week or so that I seem to need a lot more sleep. I've always needed at least 7 hours, sometimes 8, per night (and had trouble falling asleep, but not staying asleep), but now, when given the opportunity (as, for example, over the long weekend), I'll sleep through alarms and for 10-12 hours a night. When I can't get more than my usual 7, I'm a hazy zombie all day long.

I'm wondering whether (a) I can assume this is physical recovery, even though it didn't start until I'd been sober for about 3 weeks, and (b) if it is recovery-related, how long this phase usually lasts.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I'm prepared to just work with it for as long as my body needs the sleep, but I'd feel more comfortable knowing what to expect.