View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Summerpeach)))))

I do understand where you're at.

A brief synopsis. I came into AA 6/7/81 and have remained sober and clean since. On my 3rd anniversary (6/7/84) my AA sponsor told me in no uncertain terms that I was to start attending Alanon that day and to get an Alanon sponsor. Whew what an order, but still being a 'full fledged people pleaser' (as Bev's husband says, he too was sober many years in AA, 'ass kisser, lol) I did what she said.

I have never regretted it, as alanon gave me a totally different perspective on the 12 steps from what I had learned in AA.

Now through all of this and as time went on, I realized with the help of both Bev and Pat (she also was a 'double winner' aa and alanon) that the MOST IMPORTANT thing for me has to be BALANCE in my total life. I too was in the health field, am a retired RN and ran my own business doing private home care of the terminally ill and totally incapacitated (and yes IT CAN BE DRAINING to the point of BURNOUT).

Once I understood 'BALANCE', then I had to figure out what it would be for me. Came up with a pretty good working plan and only attended a meeting, be it AA or Alanon when I felt my cup getting below half full.

When in later years I had to sell my business and take early retirement due to some major health issues of my own, I had a dear friend (in AA) say to me, "OH now you can attend a lot more meetings." roflmao She told me I looked at her like she had grown 3 heads as I said "No what I attend now are just fine." lol

Do I have sponsees? sure I do and in both AA and Alanon. However, most of them have now become 'friends' because of our many 'sharings' with each other. I make it a point now to take on no more than one from each group at a time and not necessarily at the same time.

I know that BALANCE is important for all of us, whether we are in AA or Alanon or those that find recovery with SMART, AVRT, Life Ring, Counselor or Therapist, or even the 'normies' that do not seem to require any 'program'. lol I have come to believe that there MUST be BALANCE to live life to its fullest.

Do not feel guilty, this sounds like it is 'right' for you, that you are coming to a new Balance in your own life.

Go for it!!!!!

Love and hugs,