View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if our co-dependent tendencies - which lead us to Alanon in the best and most useful of ways - also can also lead us to feel "obligated" to Alanon, in similar ways that we originally felt "obligated" to our A's.

You've grown, you've given, you give in many ways in your life. Your recovery is about you and what you need, nothing else.

I also had similar feelings about Alanon meetings. Initially, when I was in some level of shock over my AH's actions, the various meetings were very helpful through the crisis. As time went on, my own therapy and Sober Recovery have been my forums, along with my grown kids and a couple of dear friends.

I keep posting here on SR because I continue to grow, and to give back what I have been given. People here have been so generous and wise when I have posted my problems. And here, as I read people's stories and think about how to respond, it makes me dig deeper into my own story and issues and clarify for myself as I try to figure out how to help someone else.

The meetings were eventually, for me, hard to get to and less focused on what I needed to talk about and hear responses about, especially because of the no crosstalk.

ShootingStar1
This is really great. Thanks for sharing. Not only do I feel obligated, then often say if I don't do service work, I can not really heal....um yeah no!