View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I can really relate to some of the things you are feeling about al-anon. My home group was also filled with old timers 25 + years and only a few new comers me being one of them. After several years I began to feel like you, hearing the same old stores over and over and over again. I was finding myself getting annoyed at certain people and doing the rolling eye thing to myself when they talked. I took a break from meetings. I still read daily, came here and kept in contact with other al-anon members who felt the same way.

Then I heard how much the meeting at that location had changed. Sadly some of the old timers had passed away or had moved to live with their children or into nursing homes. I went back and enjoyed the meetings again. I find with myself that I do need to take a time out, stay away from them for a bit, but that’s just me.

((hugs))
Thank you for sharing this.
I respect that people need to share their pains in Al Anon, but one woman has talked about her botched renovation job for 4 yrs. Another woman who's been in the program for 37 yrs (and has no addicts in her family but comes because she thinks her daughter has the "isms') talks every week about her boss'es fax machine and how it never works well and how her husband is sad when she leave the house.
I think for many it becomes a night out with the girls to socialize and just talk about "whatever" and that's ok, but not ok for me.