Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
jakec

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I like your thinking. You have to trust your gut and yes, talk with your sponsor.

It's especially important not to put yourself in a situation that might jeopardize your sobriety. That includes hanging out in a location that has drugs readily available and hanging with the opposite sex early in recovery.

I think people thought I was sort of cold about it, but I made it a point not to get too close to anyone in early recovery .... friends from rehab, friends from my sober living house. Don't get me wrong, we were friends, but I didn't want anything to cloud my judgement if things got hinkey. And they did. Not many of the folks I went to rehab with are still sober, in fact, some are dead.

You've probably heard the saying, stick with the winners..... hang out with some of the guys that have some sobriety under their belt AND live a life that you aspire to. I spent a lot of time hanging out at my home group before and after meetings. Lots of us would stay late and play cards and stuff. It felt like a safe place to me.
You're right. And I know the whole "Men with the men, women with the women" thing, but I don't see anything wrong with me hanging out with the opposite sex in recovery considering I'm not even attracted to women.