View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by bailey17 View Post
I'm sorry you are going through this- in a way it's a good thing he didn't respond because he is showing you who he really is. He is unreliable. And you have a choice here: do you want someone in your life who doesn't even respond to the news of you being in a car accident? I wouldn't want a friend- let alone a boyfriend, like that. You certainly do not deserve that.
I don't see it as being unreliable. Unreliable would be where someone makes promises that are not kept. This man requested--several times--to have no contact for a while. That is a legitimate boundary. If it is unacceptable to the other person, she can say so and walk away. That's a legitimate boundary, too.

Early sobriety is a fragile time. I would have had a hard time coping with other people's personal crises when I was in the middle of sorting out my own emotional mess. I'm thankful I was single and living alone when I got sober. I don't think I would have been very good company, and I would not have been very good at handling someone else's problems.

It's different now--I CAN help other people when they need it. I'm happy to. But if it were thrust upon me when I wasn't ready, and had made it clear that I wasn't ready, I don't think I would have responded very nicely.