View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AnonK

Thanks to everyone for the replies. To answer a few questions:

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Apparently you WEREN'T injured (or I think you would have mentioned it), so why did you reach out to him for help?
No, I wasn't injured. However, my car was stuck and I was in danger.

Consider for a moment how you might feel if the shoe were on the other foot. If YOU had decided you needed no contact for a bit, and he kept contacting you, and you kept telling him you will be in touch when you are ready, and then he finally said he accepted it, and only few days later you get a text for help because of a car accident? This is HIS boundary, you did not honor it, and he is enforcing it.
I have thought about how he might feel. I think it would have been different if the matter hadn't been important.

Minor car accidents are not emergencies. And he is not the only one who could help you if you needed help.
I called everyone else I possibly knew who could help, and they weren't able to help. He was the only option I had left.

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I’m very glad you are going to al-anon and I hope you continue to go. Have you explored your codependency at all?
I have. I'm quite aware of my codependent tendencies. Ironically, my ex isn't the person I'm most codependent upon.

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Right now your single source of self esteem comes from him and the relationship and that’s not good.
I beg to differ with this statement. I have more than one source to my self-esteem, and he is not even the biggest source of that.

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
I have a different take on this - with all due respect to the other posters here. I think it hurts like hell to be rejected, and the "rejectee" doesn't want to quite let go yet, and I think its normal.

I also think reaching out in a crisis is normal, even when you said you wouldn't. Shoot - this forum is full of people trying to unwind a relationship and failing badly at it. It's not easy to just change direction when a relationship ends. Don't beat yourself up for it. Just do something differently next time.
Thank you for understanding! I wasn't reaching out to him to keep the flame burning or anything. I needed help and he is one of the very few people I know that could have possibly helped in the situation.

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
What helped me disengage was writing about it in a journal. Plus, I was able to go back and read my entries over and over again, to remind myself when I was forgetting the purpose or fantasizing about the dream I was losing
I journal occasionally. I used to journal much more, years ago.