View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I'm glad it went ok. But I'll pipe in for the sake of the folks reading this ex post facto...because I think it's an issue that comes up a lot of the time.

A very important part of my recovery was to learn to establish healthy boundaries. I needed to learn to manage even budget my time, energy, emotions etc.

I had to learn to stop saying yes to things that I didn't believe in or agree with. I needed to learn to be realistic in how much time and energy a task would take and if I could afford to add it to my schedule.

If your friend asks you to do something that goes against your beliefs, then say no to that and see if there is some other part that you can feel good about assisting with. Be clear about how much time and energy you have, don't leave it open ended. Choose your battles wisely.

I found I fretted over some things that just weren't worth the time or energy. I just said no, the same way I do to booze and drugs...and the thing became a non issue. I quit some organizations I had previously been part of. Dropped some contributions to groups I didn't feel 100% about. And found causes that I feel fulfilled for putting time and effort into.