Old 05-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
That sounds familiar to me. The busy life, yes, but also the busying myself in order to avoid feeling, thinking, dealing with schtuff.

My "stillness" is found in activity. When I run, or bike, or swim, or lift weights, and really focus on that - that's when I'm in the moment, when my brain gets a break from the constant chatter.

Yoga makes me nervous and skittish. I do a lot of breathing exercises to ward off anxiety, and I think that counts. And then I pray. Talk to God. Listen for God's answer.

I love seeing how you're able to be open to suggestions even when you're struggling to resist. I think I see myself in you quite a bit.
See, I can find stillness in activity, too, I just hadn't thought about it. I play tennis, I run, walk, hike, and practice yoga.

Here's a funny one for you guys: I was a yoga instructor for 5 years! I taught people how to breathe, I talked them through relaxation exercises and breath work, but I never taught myself how to do it. I was constantly 'on' and talking through the class, guiding their restfulness, teaching them to be mindful of their body positioning, their tightness, where they felt stress accumulating, etc. Gee, too bad I couldn't get through to myself with all this talk, LOL!

And, really I think I resist it because I am afraid to face real feelings. I honestly don't think I'm physically busy throughout the day to avoid feelings, I think my mind and thoughts are busy throughout the day to avoid those things. I'm not afraid of being go go go throughout my day, but if I sit down for a few minutes then my mind kicks in and starts obsessing or I start ruminating over how slow my progress is, or I start fearing for my son's future, or our financial future, or whatever. So, when I am at rest, I think too much, therefore I keep myself physically moving. When I play a tennis match, I am in the moment though, and I'm sure my partner is grateful. But, when I run or walk with the dog, if I don't have music going then I start ruminating over something.

Thank you all for your thoughtfulness in your answers. I have much to think about!