View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Leshar

Help! Reaching out to SR

I'm on day 22 today, and I'm feeling very irritable, because of a task that a friend wants me to help her with. She's a teacher, and co-ordinates an art show for students, the prizes are donated by various local businesses, and art patrons.
So, she wants me to help her address thank you cards to the various donors, with a note to each student winner inside, basically saying that they should send this thank you card to the prize giver. The cards are given to the winners at the prize giving, about 40 winners.

I think it's silly and a waste of time, because, in my opinion, it infantalizes the students, if they want to send a nice thank you card, that's their business. I tried to tell my friend that last night on the phone, but she's stuck in her idea. She said before she had the thank you card idea, that some students sent an email thank you note to the donors, and she thinks that's so rude. Well, I don't, and I'm sort of old school, but it's the world we live in now, and I don't really have a problem with it.
So, I have to go over there in about an hour, and I'm so irritable I'm afraid I'll lose it with my friend. Before, I'd get a bottle of wine to have at home, once I got home, and that would sustain me through a tense time at my friend's, knowing that I had my "stress medicine" to look forward to.

I love my friend dearly, she's one of very few friends I have and I don't want to hurt her. She doesn't want to listen to other time-saving ideas I had about the art show, it's her baby, and it's her way, no-one else can have ideas.

I've read here about how you don't have to anaesthetize feelings with booze, but I'm really struggling last night and today.
I know it seems really trivial, sorry for going on, but I don't usually reach out to anyone for help, and I'm soooo having a bad couple of days.

Any ideas on how to grin and bear it with my friend and this time waste project so I don't get mad at her? Feeling like I could get mad is a new feeling for me, I guess I have to learn so many new ways of coping with life's stressors, big and small.