Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
marie1960

Lexie, I live in a big old house, all by myself.

For years and years I blamed the clutter on my daughters.

Well, guess what ? the youngest went off to college in 2005, and I have been home alone ever since, and the clutter is still here.

Even as a young girl, I dreamed of having a big home with a beautiful dining room, a huge table, with seating for 12, old church pews line the walls for extra seating, and when it's clean, it is really pretty. But the reality, is the dining room table, and benches are a depository, for I will deal with it LATER............ Whatever I am looking for, can usually be found in the dining room, and I am going to break myself of this habit. I am going to stop subscribing to all these magazines and publications I do not read, I will address the mail in a timely matter, I will stop using the dining room table as my laundry table. Fresh flowers on the table is a good deterrent for me.

Like with anything, it is a series of baby steps, my friend.

On May 1st, I made a decision to take the bull by the horn, each day after work, I get a 55 gallon contractors garbage bag and walk around the house, and fill it. Just one bag a day, and I cannot believe the crap I have thrown out.

What I realized is, I cannot do throwing out and going to goodwill at the same time. So when I am done with the throwing out, then I will tackle the recycle/ I am no longer using and off to St. Vinny's or the Salvation Army.

Sometimes, I work in one room, sometimes I go from room to room. Depends on my mood, but the one bag a day is not overwhelming. When I get overwhelmed, I am DONE. but dammit, I will purge my life of this clutter once and for all. And with each garbage back comes a feeling of liberation. It's just comes down to making the commitment to myself.

My daughters have been alerted, if there is something in your childhood bedroom you really want, you better get it, because Mama is cleaning house, and I am not taking prisoners, everything is going........

One bag at a time, Lexie..............