View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Originally Posted by seemedrink View Post
You really hit the nail on the head with why I do not want to see a doctor about this. It would result in being treated like a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life... and with the way insurance works now, what with employers having to cover more people, it might even effect future employment. There are really good reasons why going to a doctor with this is not a good idea.
This is not true.

Because of HIPAA laws no medical information can be released to anyone but you.

I work in the healthcare field. I know this for a fact. The only way they can be released is if you allow it, which in most cases requires you to sign a written release of medical information.

Your employer does not have access to your medical information nor any future employer unless you release it to them.

Your current insurance does have this access because for obvious reasons they are paying for your coverage. But if you should switch jobs and get a new insurance then the old insurance does not transfer that information.

Same with a doctor. If you go to doctor A and then to doctor B those doctor A records do not get sent to the new doctor unless you request the information to be transferred. If you do then again a medical record release needs to be completed.

Now in the case of a hospital or a treatment center where you may see several doctors then all the doctors caring for you can see all the information but again that information cannot be released to anyone but you.

This includes parents, spouses, brothers, sisters etc. Only you and your doctor/insurance has access to this information.