View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Midlifecrisis

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I do this for work, I'm not a Facebook junkie by choice!

Hypo -- Facebook now works with one of the companies that Google uses to focus its ads: Chango Deal With Facebook Uses Google Data - Business Insider

Which basically means that all the user data that already slants what you see on Google now affects Facebook ads too. I do all my sobriety related stuff in a private browsing tab so that I don't get overwhelmed by ads for rehab centers.

James -- Sounds like you've already come to this conclusion... but FB isn't the right place for a sobriety journal. Facebook is irrevocably tied to your full name and internet persona, and they have made it very clear that they believe that privacy is an antiquated concept. It's already public enough, but it's impossible to predict in a few years how data will be linked even further. Nothing should be put on FB, including in the private messages, that you would not want a future employer finding when they search your name in a few years. Given how touchy addiction is as a subject, I think it's best to avoid in a public forum. Keep it to email, SR, and an anonymous blog on Blogger or Tumblr if you'd like... ideally with a screen name you don't use elsewhere on the web.
Sorry, off topic. But it there some truth the the rumour that private messages will be able
To be seen one day by all?