View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
seemedrink

Originally Posted by Notsosober View Post
It is very possible to cut back.. Just takes willpower and determination -Two things a lot of people lack in this world.

I can relate when it comes to not wanting to be labeled an alcoholic with regards to medical records. Especially with "ObamaCare" and electronic medical records becoming the norm. I'd hate to be treated as a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life. That's one big reason I didn't head to the ER when I quit for a couple of months here recently. HOWEVER, heed these people's advice! Some of them are very experienced with this unfortunate addiction and they know their stuff. But when it comes down to it you may experience some withdrawal symptoms (some life threatening) or you may not. Seems that there's many factors that play in to this - but if you feel the need to cut back, do it!
You really hit the nail on the head with why I do not want to see a doctor about this. It would result in being treated like a second class citizen by doctors for the rest of my life... and with the way insurance works now, what with employers having to cover more people, it might even effect future employment. There are really good reasons why going to a doctor with this is not a good idea.

I stopped at 12 last night. 14 the night before. Maybe I can taper down, 2 per night, to a safer level (4-6 maybe) and then just stop. But again, I've tried that before and once you're at 6 or 8 the intoxicated mind tries to make up excuses to keep going. Tapering has to be the most difficult way to do this.

I do eat well. I keep myself hydrated and take daily vitamins. I'm at a very healthy weight so it's not like I'm rotting away here or anything as I know some alcoholics have issues with.

I thank everyone for taking the time to respond