Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by Legend40 View Post
ok lets say hypothetically that i go to a few meetings, how would i even know how to pick a sponsor and honestly, would i really need one?
Why don't you get to a meeting first before you worry about all that? Those are things to be dealt with further down the line, not at your first meeting, let alone before you even go.

You can check this out Your First AA Meeting. Understandably, You Want to Know What to Expect.
or you can certainly google AA and find out quite a lot that way too.

I am an Alanon person, but every meeting I have been to asks if there is anyone there for the first time, and if so, there is a special welcome given. Then a regular member of the meeting is asked to speak briefly about what brought him/her to Alanon and what they have gained from it. After the meeting, people approached me and said how glad they were that I had come and that they hoped I would keep coming, also asked if there were any questions they could answer for me and gave me some suggestions on reading material to help me understand.

No one was pushy, and I just felt incredibly relieved and like a weight had been lifted off me.

So yes, just go. It IS hard to go to the first meeting, but so worth it. Many people have told me they understand just exactly how heavy those doors are the first time--but very quickly, they are not a group of "icky strangers", they are your friends and inspiration and support system.

I am also someone who spends a lot of time alone, works from home, etc., so it was tough for me to admit I needed other people. Guess what? I do. You might, too.