View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Welcome to SR Wendy

I told my family after 2 months sober because I felt like if I didn't I was leaving the door open for drinking. I think now that it was an important part of my acceptance of my alcoholism. My drinking was my dirty little secret and if I kept it to myself still in sobriety it would be like it wasn't real. It still feels a bit like that now, like I made it all up, weird. I am not sure that having my time over I would have told my family when I did though, maybe I would have left it a bit longer til I was more settled in my sobriety. The response I got wasn't understanding and supporting. It was from one sister, my mum just didn't understand why I couldn't just drink less (no prizes for who I listened to) and my other sister acted like I'd just given up chocolate. This was the biggest deal in the world to me so the important thing was to just talk to people who instinctively understood. Share your story here and at other support groups for alcoholics. For myself I think acceptance took time and then it can just be a fact you can share with others rather than something others feel like they need to help you through. I felt like the people I told who didn't get it just tried to steer me down the wrong path again. Stick with SR and you'll be okay x