View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Fallow
Re-Tread

If people in AA are trying to get you to believe that their God is right for you, I can see why you feel as you do. That type of thinking usually just leads to arguing and defensiveness in my experience. I have not had that happen to me around here. Sad to hear your choices of meetings are slim.

That said, the whole AA program is about finding a relationship with some form of higher power. I hear you on the science.. I have my degree in Chemistry. Are you willing to believe in something you feel there's no proof of?

Not in any way trying to talk you into it or debate. But the Big Bang theory has plenty of limitations and assumptions. I have not heard of one principle in science that rules out the possibility of a higher power. A good amount of science certainly requires a level of faith.

Anyway step 2 turns out to be the step that has helped me stay sober. I have only completed through 3. And it is not the 1st part of step 2 that has helped me it is the bit about being restored to sanity. I came to believe that it was insane after all the nightmares drinking brought into my life I still kept picking it back up. Every time I thought a drink sounded good, one of my tools is to remind myself for me to drink is insanity.

Works for me. If you do not think you can believe maybe check out the book Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey. And the secular forums here have great information too.