Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
choublak

Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
I met a man a few weeks ago. We are both 46 and single. We feel a very strong attraction toward one another and just ache to be with each other. When we met he told me he was a recovering alcoholic-drug user and had been clean for 3 years. He is following the 12 step program, goes to many meetings, speaks regularly to his sponsor. I never had to deal with addiction, it's an unknown world for me. I don't care for alcohol or drugs so I didn't see this as a problem.

First I must say he is the most affectionate, respectful, tender man I have ever let in my life. I know I am about to fall head over heels for him.

My dilemma: I have noticed that when he talks he refers a lot to before he was sober. Example: he's telling a story about how he solved a problem at work, and will add that before he would have simply punch the guy in the face etc. Is him referring a lot to 'before' something common? is it indicative he's not far along enough in his recovery yet to be living in the moment?
You've only known each other for a few weeks.

I think it's a bad sign that he told you all of this right away. I mean, why would you need to know about it? I also think the sharing of 'before' versus 'after' is kind of strange. He needs to be telling this to his sponsor, not someone he just met.