Thread: I got in!
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ethos23

I got in!

Last year I got to run a marathon that I had been looking forward to for a long time. It is a wildly popular race and the registration is a lottery, if you haven't run the race many years in a row. An old friend from high school registered and got in but did not run the race, so I bought his registration. This year I got in, which made me very excited. Another thing that made me happy is that this Friday will be one month sober for me. Last year I ran a few half-marathons, a marathon, and an ultra-marathon. I was drinking the whole time. I really cut down, but was still drinking regularly. I think all the running put me in denial. I figured, if I can run, then I don't have a problem. Well, that didnt really work out too well. I had a couple of bad detoxes trying to quit and thought I was going nuts (I was really, I guess). After the last one, I decided that enough was enough and really committed to not drinking again. I have put the energy I used to put into drinking into other more worthwhile activities, like my family, business, and fitness. I take it a day at a time. I travel a lot for business and, by force of habit, I still think about drinking when I'm on the road. However, I use my time on the road to catch up on my fitness, since I have no other distractions. I throw on my shoes and off I go. Then I "sleep it off." Oh, the mornings are so much better.