Thread: Trouble coping
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AmyShambles

Hi Kikki,

I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm 23 and live at home with my alcoholic mum. One difference, my dad left a few years back due to my mum persistently blaming him for her drinking.

My mum doesn't work and hasn't done for around 7 years. I work full-time and, like you, do a lot of the cooking and housework. Sometimes I feel angry because she's at home all day doing nothing and I have everything to do after a 9 hour day at work.

Sometimes I feel like I can't cope. I ask myself all kinds of questions about why she does it and how I can stop it, but the truth is that there is no way I can answer these questions. My mum chooses to drink and only she can stop doing it.

Always remember that YOU are never to blame. You didn't cause your mum's problem, you cannot control it and you certainly cannot cure it.

And finally, never feel alone. There is always someone to talk to. I used to think I was the only person in the world whose mum was an alcoholic, but there are so many other people who understand what you are going through.

Try to keep strong and remember the 3 C's.
You didn't cause it.
You can't control it.
You can't cure it.

'We're just a million little Gods causing rainstorms turning every good thing to rust'