View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by amanda39 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. This Thursday I found my 18 year old brother in his bedroom overdosed on heroin. He was blue/gray and I was told had it taken five minutes longer for an ambulance to get there, he would have died.

My mother is well-meaning but is always trying to rescue him. He's in a psych program right now and my mother has told him he cannot come home once it's over and must go to rehab (if not an army-based program we are working to get him into). In the past, he has signed himself out of rehab before only to find his way home and my mother eventually allowed him to stay.

I don't know how to get my mom to realize the consequences of her babying him without yelling, screaming, or breaking down in front of her. If anyone has any suggestions, I would truly appreciate it.
Hi, Amanda...

You have to allow your mother the space and the opportunity to come around on her own. It's not dissimilar to allowing the addict the dignity to make their own mistakes. The only things we have control over in this life are our own behavior and choices.

Worry about you.

ZoSo