Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ukiah77

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
oy, multiple issues at play here! first and foremost, you are not THERE to be the focus of his abuse, anger, resentment because HE has a drinking problem! he is treating you with complete disrespect, which at least IMHO, is Unacceptable. second, he's not quitting as a means to a better life, he's putting himself on restriction and making everyone pay for it. and third, drinking "non" alcohol beer by the caseful is not helping, it's like poking the hibernating beer with a stick....non-alcohol beer DOES have trace amounts of alcohol in it and it triggers the "oooo beer!" response, only a good drunk never comes. NO WONDER HE'S PISSED.

i'm sorry, it doesn't sound at all good for you. or the kids. if this is as good as it gets....is it good enough?

I totally agree with this, thank you. He is not quitting for a better life, he's only putting himself on restriction and making everyone else pay for it. That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote my first post. He will not attend AA, I gave him the book, Under the Influence but he tossed it up on the shelf and won't read it. He thinks he can "handle this on his own." He can't. Duh. He has no idea how or why he has to work on recovery not only from the alcohol itself, but also the emotional side of it. He has no idea how to even begin working on himself. He's been full of anger and discontentment, saying he hates his job (he has a GREAT job with the City!) He says the kids are annoying him, so he hides out in the garage (man cave.) Although I am so happy he is not getting drunk and aggressive every night, this sober guy is only slightly better, still unacceptable as a husband and father. He is not treating me with any shred of respect, but I've been letting it go, all in the name of being proud of him that he hasn't gotten drunk in 2 weeks. I know he will likely relapse if he continues to allow his alcoholic behavior be part of his life. Now to face your question, if this is as good as it gets, is it enough? The answer to that is NO.