Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Veritas1

Originally Posted by aquamanerik View Post
I left an AA meeting today and felt okay when I went in but felt bad after leaving.This "old timer" an old man (I'm guessing 65-70 years old) who had supposedly been off alcohol for over 10 years said we are all selfish and self centered and none of us deserve to be sober.
There were a couple brand new to AA people there and that was the kind of talk that way back when I was 1st checking out AA and still drinking made me feel bad about myself and kept me from feeling like I could get any help from there and I continued to drink feeling like I was inferior and hopeless.I've been sober for 3 years now and have been around long enough to where I dont think that the one size fits all model of what the main guy who wrote the "Big Book" (that is the AA bible which was copyrighted about 75 years ago) which I believe he modeled after himself is as applicable today as it was then.Even back then it probably was'nt but I think that the primary writer did about as good as he could way back then.
I hear this kind of talk a lot esp from older members but is it really so?

May I just say that perhaps all he meant was that in light of how we acted...if we actually got what we deserved...it wouldn't be sobriety.

Selfish, self-centered, inconsiderate habits...how we treated people...that we don't deserve sobriety, and all it's goodness.

Deserve....to me, implies expectation...taken for granted.

We don't deserve sobriety and goodness after how we acted...

All he is saying is that he doesn't think we deserve it...

All he is sharing is his feelings on the matter. We don't have to adopt his feelings.

Anyone can say anything in a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Try to consider what he is saying...

Deserve, to me also means give it to me...I deserve...and maybe he is just saying after how we acted, we should not demand anything, or ask for special treatment.