Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
wheresthefun

As mentioned above: books, SR, talking to certain people.

Also, for me, I did things kind of bass ackwards. I did some pretty heavy lifting in therapy over a decade ago now. I began seeing a therapist for depression and because my marriage was ending. Turns out, all that stuff was the best thing that ever happened to me. Although my therapist never really spent time on my alcohol "problem" we did deal with everything else. This woman got me to experience true happiness and contentedness for the first time in my then 42 years on the planet.

Anyway, what I'm leading up to, is I did all the "hard work" so many talk about that goes along with quitting drinking/substances way before I quit the drinking. But, because of that, all I really had to deal with was the stopping drinking part, and not to rub it in to anyone, it was pretty GD easy. In fact, I was just telling my wife last night, that I've come to a point in my life, as I approach two years as a non-drinker, that nothing could ever happen that would make me want to drink again. Not even if in some alternate universe, I would be promised that I would experience none of the "bad" things that go along with drinking. When I think back on it now. I can't believe I ever even liked "the buzz", I have no desire to experience that every again.

As Lao-tse said after tasting the vinegar, " Life itself, when understood and utilized for what it is, is sweet."