View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
butterfly2013

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
There's a phrase in AA's Big Book that describes the way alcoholics feel when they aren't drinking: "Restless, irritable, and discontented." And the drinking is what RELIEVES those feelings. Everything that doesn't involve drinking is boring, unsatisfactory, uncomfortable. So if you aren't into drinking yourself into oblivion and doing whatever irresponsible, stupid thing pops into your head at any given moment, you are, ipso facto, dull and boring. Of course, all that "excitement" and "danger" needs to be romanticized.

*shrug* It isn't that you, or the world, is unsatisfactory, it's his outlook on life.
Thanks for sharing, LexieCat. Very insightful. My alcoholic ex also accused me of being "boring" when I wanted us to take our son on swimming lessons, art classes, whatever. When the three of us would have an outing (like an outdoor festival or the like), he would often purchase beer because he said "he deserved it" sicen he worked so hard at his job and that beer helped him relax. But in reality, alcohol helps him solves those feelings of boredom and discontent. This small observation helps me. Thank you again!