Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
chrissp

Let's be careful not to demonize Xanax. It has a purpose. My psychiatric physician is incredibly careful and thorough with following up, etc. I am on daily xanax. It is the only thing that has predictably and reliably prevented or sabotaged my anxiety and panic attacks, sober or drinking.

I had read all of the horror stories about it as well, they are ubiquitous. When I discussed this with him, especially in lieu of my drinking, he encouraged me (since I had access to medical literature) to see whether anxiety patients using it therapeutically are known to be abusers or escalate dosage.

The answer, statistically, and to my surprise, is no: like me, the overwhelming majority on Xanax for diagnosed anxiety and panic and trying to maintain quality of life do not abuse, self escalate, doctor shop, etc. They use it as prescribed. I have been on Xanax daily since December 2010, 1.5 mg/day max, and my dosage actually decreased through time from 2.5 mg/day. I have never run out early, etc.

This underlines the point made often on this forum about not giving medical advice. I am on Inderal, Xanax and Zoloft daily. Do I consider myself sober? Absolutely.