Thread: Any thoughts
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DarrenJGalea
12 May 2013

Any thoughts

Hi all, I'm Darren. Im 50 and self employed, and have had a problem with addictions of various kinds for as long as I remember. One by one I have managed to beat them, the drugs, the cigarettes, the alcohol...THE ALCOHOL???

Nope. I thought it would be easy to give up the demon drink, but it keeps coming back and biting my ass every time. I thought cigarettes were hard, but the alcohol is very subtle in the way that it gets you back every time (or is it my imagination?).

I would say I average about 0.35 of a Litre, about 3 times a week. It doesn't seem like much, but I've been doing it for so long. Sometimes I go over the limit too, and some weeks I would do 5 days, and some days I would do 0.75 of a Litre. It's normally whisky or dark rum.

I would like to give up before it kills me. I would like to ask any of you out there if there is a way to plan ahead; say I plan to give up next week, on Sunday, what would be the best way to go about it? Can any of you suggest a plan of action?

I don't get shakes or withdrawal by the way, as I am not a very heavy alcoholic, but I know it is affecting my health and my relationships, so I'd really love to give up.

Thanks for listening!