View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
deeker

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
The only thing that got and kept me sober in the long run was AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Agree with Bob. AA /NA where I got clean and sober. AA/NA is where I learned to laugh at myself. AA/NA is where I made some of the best friends of my life. They are the very same people I drank with, they are cool, they just don't drink anymore. They are just like me and we have the same goal in mind, to stay clean and sober.We have plenty in common, mostly feelings, which makes our relationships more than just small talk surface stuff.

My friends in the fellowship would be there 24 hours a day if I needed them and visa versa.

We have an activity a month. Memorial Day a huge picnic on the beach with a speaker. June a camp out. July a kickball game. August Movie night. We have bonfire meetings at least 3 nights a week.

it's where I learned to have fun again. I wouldn't trade my experiences in the fellowship for anything. But I had to put forth effort, go to meetings regularly in order to make those friends. And I had to be a friend.

I never think about alcohol, I see alcohol hardly if ever and if I do , I have people that have my back. Try it! You'll see. You are missing out on some of the most satisfying friendships you could even imagine.

P.S. AA/NA has helped me work a program to deal with the underying issues of my alcoholism/addiction (The Steps). So The obsession has been lifted and I no longer have to be busy, busy, busy. I can just sit and be, doing absoluteley nothing and enjoy it.