View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

Originally Posted by helltoraise View Post
... I can't get past the fact that even an alcoholic feels he can find better elsewhere. He even said that...
I depends on which way you are looking. As long as I had my entire life focused on my ex all I could see in the world was her. I was isolated, lonely, exhausted, depressed, and the only woman in my world was her. Under those conditions she did look pretty good.

When I finally got away, got a _lot_ of al-anon into my head, started hanging out with other guys from the meetings, I realized there was more to the world than just that one, sad little house we lived in.

My ex _has_ found better elsewhere. She has found a whole string of married guys who will put up with her B.S., allow her to pop pills without question, wine her and dine her. She has definetly found better enablers elsewhere.

I was looking for a better life, and I found it away from an addict partner in the rooms of al-anon. She was looking for a better enabler, and she found them in bars and strip joints and who knows where. It depends on where you look. Wherever it is you are looking, you will find something.

.... he said he was happy with me, but it wasn't pure happiness....
Oh mine was plenty happy. I drove her to work and back, did the laundry, bought the groceries, fed the animals, walked the dog, cleaned the house, made good with the neighbors, kept the business going.... of course she was happy. I can't imagine an addict that would not be happy with a slave _and_ affairs on the side.

.... I invested 3 years of my life in this man.
I invested 20. Invested my business too, and my youth. The economy tanked, and so did my marriage. I am investing in something more profitable now. Me

I am old, I'm short, I am half bald and have serious health problems. Think I can get a date with that description? Actually, yes. Turns out there's a whole lot of ladies out there who are more interested in the _kind_ of person I am than in what I look like. I have even dated two who were _way_ tall, drop dead gorgeous, wonderfully sweet and did _not_ drink, drug or even smoke.

Ok, so they were way too young for me and they had Daddy-issues, but the point is that if a little old guy with a bad heart can make a happy new life then anybody can.

Mike