View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Genie

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If I was at the doctor's, I always mentioned my white coat syndrome as the reason for the high BP reading. I didn't want to admit drinking was causing my high blood pressure. They had me monitor my blood pressure at home.

You wouldn't believe the lengths I would go through to ensure I go a reading in the "normal" range so I could convince myself that I could keep drinking.

Though I needed to quit for my health, that's not what got me to stop. And I didn't get my BP checked until a year later. Guess what? No white coat syndrome. My BP was 109/79.
How wonderful for you Carl! I know we play games.

I actually wore a BP monitor for 24 hours and it showed I had a normal pressure (not as low as yours though) 129/79. I then monitored my own BP (they had a cuff at the gym) and was keeping it within normal ranges for the 1st year (after the monitor). However, I did start drinking again. The 2nd year I noticed an increase from time-to-time and I never associated it whether I had stopped drinking for a couple of days.

I totally know that drinking is causing the problem and I am not going to use the white coat syndrome as an excuse to continue drinking. I was just noting that BP does increase for a couple of weeks when one stops drinking.

I don't want to wear that monitor again. I hope in a month my pressure will be down. I also do not want to go on medication.

G