View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

When i first quit drinking, i too lost the desire to drink. The thoughts were always there but the desire wasn't. I made it 10 months. I started off in the rooms of AA but as my sobriety stretched out i became lax in attending meetings. I got a sponsor a little ways into the program only because an oldtimer caught me and introduced me to her. I existed on thr fringes of the program and only took half measures, if that. Well, half measures availed me nothing. After a few months, i moved and dropped my sponsor. I stopped attending meetings and relied on that pink cloud of new sobriety to carry me through. As all clouds do, my pink cloud eventually dissapated around my 10 month anniversary. Because i had nothing else to fall back on, i turned once again to the bottle. I stayed there for about 3 months. I'd convinced myself that vodka was my problem and wine would not get me. What an alcoholic thought that was! I discovered that wine will get you just as drunk, much to my dismay.

I'm back in AA now and no longer existing on the fringe. I have a sponsor and sobriety sisters and a long list of numbers in my phone that begin with AA. I'm building my sobriety on something solid this time. I know that no matter where i am, there is something i can go to where there are people just like me. That's been my experience. I hope it helps.