View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

While drinking, it was definitely shame. I would go out drinking with friends and then retreat when I knew I was too drunk and just keep drinking alone.

Since sober... three big things, I think. First, I'm just exhausted still. I've noticed that after a few "normal" days, I inevitably have a day (like today) where I just feel kind of like I've washed up on a beach somewhere. Luckily although the fatigue is still there I am noticing that the "normal" days are becoming more and more busy. At the start a normal day might be grocery shopping, making dinner, and meeting up with a friend. Now I'm getting to the point where I can attend multiple appointments or engagements in one day, run errands across the city, etc.

Second, even though I isolated while drinking, I feel like a big part of my drinking was that I never wanted to spend any time with myself, ever. Anytime I was alone I was drinking to get rid of my own thoughts. So I feel like now I'm getting to know myself and like any new friendship it takes time.

And third... this is just such a huge transition, and in my case most of the people in my life don't know how big of a deal it is for me. I think that's naturally building in some space to my relationships. Not in a negative way. But I think that's why I spend so much time on SR. Getting sober is my project right now, but in many ways it's a secret project!