View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

New to Recovery...AGAIN!

I first got sober in April of 1990 so I wouldn't consider myself new to recovery, yet here I sit with 19 days of sobriety. I started going to meetings in April of 1990 and had 7 years of sobriety without a relapse. My wife and I split up and I used that as an excuse to go back out. After about a year of off and on drinking I went back to AA. After ANOTHER 7 years of sobriety I needed heart surgery to replace my aortic valve. After some complications I was ready to return to work but my job was not waiting for me. I relapsed again and was out for 7 years. I finally became so miserable I went for professional help 3 weeks ago. I am now seeing a counselor once a week and am back at meetings 3-4 times a week. Trust me folks and save yourself the trouble...it DOES NOT get any better out there. Along with my meetings I look forward to sharing with everyone here as another means of staying sober. I feel really fortunate to make it back again and if I relapse again I don't know if I would make it back. This last time was getting pretty scary towards the end.