View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Mallard666

Originally Posted by ScoutBall View Post
Hello Class.

Firstly: Thank you all very much for your thoughts. I cannot convey how much they mean, even if we are perfect strangers that share a common site, and goal of sobriety.

While not a total shock, Grandpa's passing was tougher than I imagined. I lost my dad while I was in my second year of undergrad, and this is just another link to Dad that's gone now. It's hard being so far away. Our family is about as scattered internationally as we can be, so there will be some that go home, and others that do not. We're staying home. It's a real mess around here. What with Mom being on island...and bringing some of dads ashes with her, as dad never made it to Hawaii. He grew up, lived near, and worked on the water. He actually forged his dads signature so he could head for the Coast Guards boot camp the day after he graduated. Tuesday we will let a part of him into the blue waters of the Pacific. Going to be a **** all week, I can say that much.

Blue Dog and I are on the back patio. Listening to the rain, and enjoying a cigar. Well, I am. He is gathering toys and piling them at my feet wanting a little night fetch session.

With everything going on, sobriety is the last thing on my mind. Not in the sense that I don't care, or am giving up...I'm just not thinking about either. Drinking, or not. Or maybe I am and just don't realize it. A death in the family used to be pretty much license for a lot to drink. Neither thought has really occurred to me.

I'm just sad. Which is ok. I'm not despondent or inconsolable. Just sad.
I need to get a lot of work done tomorrow...but sitting out here right now feels kind of nice. My pencils are just over there on my desk...I'm hoping for a bit of inspiration to strike between now and morning tea...as those pencils don't seem to be drawing anything for me. Jerks.

I think my love of cartoons probably started with Dad. When I was very small, he worked nights, and would wake me up on Saturday mornings--I'd watch cartoons, and he'd doze and mumble incoherent dad things while I lie on his chest. Wile E. Coyote was his favorite. He always cheered for Wile because he never quit.
There have been days in the last month that I really feel like I've been blown up with my own ACME rocket...and in a lot of ways...it's true since I, and I alone did the drinking.

But...
I'm never going to quit.
my friend it's getting through these hard times that gives us the belief we don't have to drink. Yes I am struggling but when through a lot of sh,t the other week and came through with out a drink,
Makes me feel more confident I don't need it.
Sorry for your loss