Old 12-15-2004, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wraybear
Caring for the 3 little bears

Prod, I still think it would be a good idea to seek out a good lawyer who will give you a free consult. Instead of worrying, and assuming the worst, they MAY have something worthwhile to tell you. Maybe you are entitled to something and part of that could pay for the lawyer, or maybe the lawyer can figure out a way for him to pay the fees, due to the abuse.
It can't hurt. Yes, it may be a shot in the dark, but you won't know if you don't try.
Maybe some of your teachers can recommend someone. Maybe an Alanon group could recommend someone.
Why would he get all the belongings in the home? That just doesn't even make sense.
Maybe someone has told you worst case scenerio under circumstances that are very different than yours?
Most of the attorney's in my area request a $2000 down payment for divorce. I know that sounds like a lot, but if you get $10,000 out of the assets, that would be worth it. Hope you can find some peace about this and can get all your questions answered soon, so you won't have to worry.