View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post

Thanks for the insight into the cultural difference, Sobreia... very interesting about the tension.

I'm finally beginning to relax and enjoy conversations more when out with my family/friends and not drinking. It's gotten to the point, for me at least, that it's easier when I'm out than when I'm at home. Don't know why.

Congratulations on making it another week. Glad we both came back despite slipping. I have to believe that if we refuse to give up we'll finally find happiness and success.
Thank you so much New Leaf!! I am also glad we are both back. I'd like to think getting back again after a slip is a sign of really wanting to change. I've received some really good advice, and wonderful support, this week. Together, we can do this.

I am not (yet) in AA but read how they describe themselves as a big family, how people can find understanding and support that transcends borders and cultures. Of course, it is sad that we are all suffering from this disease and that this is what joins us together, yet I find it really beautiful and encouraging to see the kindness and compassion shared on this site.

One thought I've found helpful, which another SR member shared with me, is to commit to recovery rather than to "not drinking", recovery encompassing many things in addition to sobriety. I tell myself in the morning: today I will be kind to myself. One day at the time.

Hugs,
S