View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DisplacedGRITS
Crazy Cat Lady

Unhappy so i got this friend...

...she's a fellow alcoholic. i met her in AA. she had a few days more sobriety than me but we were pretty close. well, she picked up her 1 month chip and graduated from Intensive Outpatient a little while ago and just a couple of days later i hear she's picked up drinking again. i text her to let her know i'm thinking about her once a day.

last Saturday she texts me back and asks if i can come over and grill out that evening. Sure! i say, thinking that she's quit drinking and reaching out for fellowship. well, i text her to tell her i'm going to be late and her hubby texts back that she's wasted drunk. i end up going over and talking to her about what she's going to do. she's bad enough that i'm worried about her detoxing at home. sadly, the detox place she wants to go to insists that the police determine that she's a danger to herself. i convince her to let her husband call the cops. cops come, are quite nice and take her off. she's in detox for 6 days.

she was home yesterday. today, texts me back that she's been talking to family all day on the phone (she called it being social) and that she's going to a meeting Saturday. hmmmm. well, i go to my meeting and afterwards i see that she's texted me again, which is unusual. from her: "Somehow,imtopless n hubby is gone." "Maybe i need company" topless? wtf? very not like her and my suspicion is confirmed by a text from her husband saying he's left the house because she's wasted again and he is too upset to be there.

so i call my sponsor and we talk a little and i call my friend. she's hammered. we talk for a bit and i got a drunken promise to meet at 3PM Saturday at the Alano Club. i tell her that i have a morning meeting and brunch i'm going to but to call me if she finds herself planning a liquor run. i wish i could say that i'm hopeful about tomorrow but to be honest, i'm about 95% sure she's going to be drunk before 3. i'm clinging like crazy to that 5% though.

does anyone have advice for what i can/should do in this situation? i can't take her to meetings but i can help her find rides. i don't want to feel responsible for her and i don't want to beg her to go to meetings. all i'm doing now is texting her once a day to let her know i'm thinking about her and encouraging her to go to meetings and talk to her sponsor. she's playing the blame game a lot and bragging about how intelligent she is (then brushing it off that she doesn't really blame anyone and that she's not THAT smart). i fear that she's just not being honest with herself right now. *sigh* i know i don't have a lot of sobriety but i got a damn good bit of experience being a delusional drunk. i hope i'm doing right by her and me. any advice, y'all?