Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Quinne View Post
I actually had no idea I had it "in me" to be that angry while sober!

I am so out of sorts at the minute! I went to a meeting today and shared that I was feeling like I was mentally sitting alone on an island.
Glad you have a meeting where you can share this!

I know when I first got clean/sober I would freak when I felt a strong emotion. When I had a bad day. When I acted not so nice. I assumed I must be failing, that sober people weren't supposed to feel and act that way, that in sobriety bad days didn't happen.

But they do. Just like they happen to everyone. And when I realized that, big feelings, rough days, feeling lonely, angry or confused...I could accept it, roll with it, not think it meant armageddon was around the corner.

I used to try to hide it because I didn't want the people I knew in recovery to know I was failing, then I tried sharing it and wondered why they didn't get all excited that my sky was falling down. Now I see it's because they knew that a rough day didn't mean a failed recovery.

In recovery we allow ourselves to be honest, there are lots of twists, turns and surprises, by staying open to the experience we allow ourselves to truly grow and change, to accept the better life ahead of us.