Thread: This is hard.
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pete55

It won't happen over night.

Look at the math, in my case I drank, when I drank I was out of control while drinking. Sober I was OK, did my job, never had DUI, never done prison, never done rehabs.
It was only when I drank things went crazy or "funny". Living sober gradually became a life of isolation to.
This went on for 35 years.
When I was sober for the first 6 months, I was invited to brother's wedding reception, I was asked to sit in a separate table away from family. So I left in disgust, "don't they know, I'm sober!!" I thought.
No, they don't know, all they know is I was a risk.

I rang someone in support and they asked me these questions.
"how many years did I drink" ?
I said, "35"
Support then asked, "how long have I been sober"?
"6 months" was my reply.
Then my support said, "do you honestly think that being 6 months sober is going to change the image of you after 35 years of your out of control drinking"?
My answer obviously was, "No".
Then hung up the telephone, I went back to the reception after 2 hours, no one missed me except my dad.
Being sober at the reception, I then saw the drunks!
The rest of the family were trying to figure out, "is he or isn't he going to mess up his brother's wedding reception"? type of looks.
If they were betting, they lost! I won on the day, but there was more battles to endure, and the enemy was in me.

You are 8 days sober, the alcohol is leaving the body and the mind, what's happening is the emotions are coming up. This is normal, it happened to me and I suppose it happens to many in those first few days.

The larger than life dreams prop up like monsters and your are trying to figure it all out. They are just that, "dreams", nothing more, nothing less.
It will pass, for some sooner, others not so soon. Just don't pick up the first drink or you will be back to day 1 and have to go through it all over again.