View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
dorothyparker

Hello everyone, I was visiting a friend in Toronto and got back a week ago. I realised how much I missed our January class. I had to do quite a lot of catching up. I'm ashamed to say that I came on the site only because I have been feeling very very depressed lately and I was looking for some presence. Perhaps it has to do with being in Toronto, and not being able to enjoy a drink (I know enjoy is the wrong word but as I was on holidays, it felt that way)...In any case, I'm still sober but all the signs and pubs were calling out to me to come in and have a drink. I'm lucky that my friends didn't feel like drinking.

Some of the posts I read brought tears to my eyes. Lunetta, so sorry about your miscarriage. I loved that you said: just thinking about drinking makes me sick..." It's a strong deterrent, if you want to drink, you envision yourself with a glass, and you're ill with guilt and aware of the negative consequences..so I find it's the thought that keeps the demons away.

Is it Woodhead who has a son that will possibly be in jail for 5 years ? I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope it will be a light(ish) atmosphere for him to bear. Please keep us posted.

I'm glad I checked in. It's true, this stopping drinking is a solitary business, one of the most solitary thing I've ever done but when I share with you, I'm reminded that I'm not so alone after all. Thank you all. And Dee, I missed what the Forum drama was about but you're so wise and gentle, I'm sure that you handled it perfectly.

Have a good sober evening !