Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sasha4

When I started out, I did not know how long I was going to stop drinking for.

My friends asked and so did my work colleagues.
Unfortunately for me, a lot of my drinking was done at work and every saw the ridiculous things I did and the fact I was a heavy drinker.

I told everyone I wanted to give up for a year.

I never told people why, but I am sure people guessed due to my past behaviour. They cannot have been blind to my antics.

People were nice and did not mention this in most 99.9% of cases.

After a while, people got used to the fact I did not drink and would not be for the next year.
I volunteered myself to be the designated driver where possible so I would not be tempted to drink and at work stuck to diet coke.

After a while, people just accepted it. The pressure to drink from others also stopped. I think they did not want to take the blame if they pushed me off the wagon!

I was talking to a work colleague recently and she asked if I will never drink again. She asked me why I stopped.
I explained that I wanted to say that I had given up drink for a year.
Like an achievement.
I also said that I had fallen into the trap of drinking every night at a certain time, felt rotten in the morning and wanted more out of life. I explained the benefits - better sleep, no hangovers, lots of time to do other more productive things.
She then aid she might give it a go for a month.

I honestly think that 'we' build it up in our heads to be a lot bigger deal than it actually is.
I also think if we see it as a positive step in our lives, then it takes away the need to explain the things we lost and the problems we had.

My best to you
xx