View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

I am a little confused about the question. If by that you mean not being a Christian or being an Atheist, absolutely. I am not a Christian and in my home group we have 2 Muslims, a couple of agnostics and people from all walk of faith and what not. My sponsor was a Buddhist.
The key is to deflate our egos and realize that we as individual are not all mighty and powerful. You can use GOD (good orderly directions) as your higher power if you are an atheist.
Now partial AA, I don't think it would work. Like the others, first thing which came to my mind was: half measures availed us nothing. If you can't relate to the program, you might be better off trying another system.
Anyway, when it comes to alcoholism, whatever recovery we do, the common denominator is that we have to decide to quit and not pick up that first drink or drug no matter what. It is futile to quit and have an half baked recovery while thinking in the back of our heads that some day it might be ok to drink again.
I should know. I relapsed the day I put my recovery on the back burner then a year later I picked up a drink. This time around, my recovery comes first then whatever can just follow.