View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I'm a pantheist...the Universe is the Ultimate Reality. Nothing personal. It holds all the cards. I'm a function of it. Doesn't take much of a stretch of the mind to accept that.

Higher Power? Well there is something that gives substance abusers a way out. That's all I needed to know. That yes, there is someway to get and stay sober. Evolution selected for it and by jinkies I am going to make use of it.

Never had to bow, scrape, or beg, swallow any bitter pill, lie or debase myself.

I had that fear in the beginning that in order to recover via 12 steps I would have to buy into some religious ponsey scheme, but that was my fear and resentment rearing their heads, it was not reality.

And since I am ALL about reality....

my experience. I found NA less about "God talk" in general than AA. That is based on the meetings I have attended in the areas I have lived, so that may not be an accurate assessment of the programs overall.

I use a variety of 12 step programs literature and resources, not just NA/AA. Some of them are specifically secular, there are even rather rabid Atheist versions if you care to search for them. Most of my 12 step contact these days is online due to my living circumstances.

Generally I have found people care WAY less about what I believe or don't believe than I anticipate they will.

My HP is the function of my brain that allows me to overcome addiction.

My sponsor has nearly 25 yrs clean and he is a staunch atheist. He just didn't let it get in his way. A lot of times it's the atheist themselves that lets their belief stop them from participating, the other people don't really care.