View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by Troae View Post
#1: Don't ever apologize for stating how you feel. That's what this place is for. I fully get what you're going through with family and friends. Always trying to talk you out of it, always trying to convince you that you don't have a problem. Guess what? They're not the judge of that. You are. Period. I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of their behavior is intended to mask their guilt over own consumption habits. Here's a trick that I've been having a lot of fun with lately. I call it, "Hiding my NOT drinking". I simply get a handy stash of non-alcoholic beverages that LOOK like they could be regular booze. Iced tea is great, but I know how you Brits just LOATHE iced tea! :-) Apple juice works, or cranberry juice if you're a wine drinker. If you're in charge of the pouring, just keep your glass full of your non-alcoholic beverage of choice, and no one will be the wiser. I've prepared entire dinner parties with a glass of non-alcoholic grape juice in my hand whilst everyone else imbibed. It never even becomes a topic of conversation. Peace.
Troae, you are being so incredibly helpful! Thank you ever so much. Am actually Swedish, have lived in London for the past five years, and moved back home a couple of weeks ago, having finally admitted to myself I can't deal with my problems on my own but need family and close friends around. So iced tea is OK:-) The idea of hiding the not-drinking is genius!