View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sobreia

Originally Posted by Troae View Post

But the world didn't end, did it?

But what DID happen, is that you woke up this morning wiser, with greater resolve and the knowledge that you CAN change your life. 17 days is not just "toughing it out". 17 days is the beginning of the path to real and lasting change. Your 17 days should leave you with no doubt about your ability to make it 18 days, then 19 days, then 20, then....

You see what I'm getting at?

Strength, Calm, Courage Sobreia!
Thank you again Troae, it really moves me to get such kind support on here. I find it hard to tell family and friends that I want to quit permanently. When I say I am "staying away from alcohol", the reaction is often that people try to downplay my problem (partly because they don't know the full extent, but I think it also makes them feel uncomfortable) and I am of course easily persuaded to downplay it too. I suppress memories of all the shameful embarrassing things I've done and said when drunk, and how I've jeopardised my physical/mental health and life, because remembering them creates so much anxiety. Therefore it is hard to admit the extent of my problem even to myself - and as long as I don't do this I can't admit it to others and I can't, with honesty and resolve, say "I want to quit drinking permanently", and as long as I don't I won't be able to stay sober... It is a vicious circle... Sorry for the long erratic reply, my mind is all over the place today. Was still drunk when I woke up this morning.