Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
I don't know why but I need to get out and socialize but don't know where to go besides bars. Being isolated is making me sick. Maybe I will feel better in a few weeks. All of the horrible things that happened to my family have been plaguing me these past two weeks. I want a new gf. I guess that's only another way to fill the void.
First, congratulations on 2 weeks!

When I first quit drinking I was 33, so not to much older than you. I had already been married and divorced twice and I had two children. My husbands, the boyfriends here and there nor my two kids could fill that "void".

I too went to bars and socialized. When I quit I tried to fill my life with AA. I plunged in to it head first. I bought all the books. I went to meetings hoping that they would fill my emptiness and loneliness that I felt being away from the bar and the socialization. It did not. I went back and suffered another nine years. The last three to four I have been in isolation on purpose. I no longer went to bars. I had no friends or BF to help my drunk ass get home. It felt safer to grab my half gallon of whiskey and my TV clicker and stay on my couch all weekend.

There are many definitions for void. I like "Ineffective; useless". I have to ask myself why am I trying to fill something that is ineffective and useless? Like filling a bucket that has a hole in the bottom. It is just going to keep leaking.

The same goes for my drinking. I was a bucket with holes and no matter how often or how much I drank it just kept leaking. There is no way I have found to patch the holes, the best solution was to throw the bucket away. I decided that I was going to stop trying to make that bucket useful or effective. I stopped trying to fill the void.

I go to AA meetings 6 times a week. I am 5 weeks sober today. I am not sure what is happening this time around but I feel peace. I don't think I have ever felt peace before.

Try to hang in there. It does get better. Try to find something that gets you out of your head for a little bit. Give your mind a rest. I crochet and for some reason when I use my hands my brain stops thinking. Maybe a jigsaw puzzle or a model kit. Something you can concentrate on that is not schoolwork or ways to fill the "void".